Tuesday 16 July 2013

The Nerdy Life of LittleMissJuliana

Some of you may know, if you follow my twitter @MissJulianaYu (insert shamless plug here lol) that I'm also really nerdy. As of recently, I've taken up a few languages. I've always wanted to be fluent in 5 foreign languages before I turn 25, that is, excluding English and Mandarin. Since going to school in Australia, I've picked up Italian, and even though I've only learnt it for twoish years, I've kept at it by watching Italian cartoons and beauty vloggers, listening to Italian songs, as well reading Cosmo magazine in Italian (so my parents won't be able to read the raunchy cover lol double whammy!)

As of now, I've taken French, German, Russian and Spanish, as well as brushing up my Italian properly. Since learning these European languages aren't exactly popular amongst Hong-Kongers, I've got to self-teach with language books, textbooks, and the online community of internet tutors.


And yes, that means I do two to three hours a day on weekdays, one hour on Saturday and Sunday, and I give myself weekly unit tests and dictations. Even if I've graduated high school. Even if it's my summer holidays. Hopefully, by the end of all this, I'll be fluent in 7 languages- English, Mandarin, French, German, Russian, Spanish and Italian.

Studying is actually so fun when there's nice stationary involved. Back in high school in Australia, everyone would rip out nice posters or pretty advertisements from magazines to cover a plain notebook.


I like colour-coding my notes as well. It's scientifically proven that it could help jog your memory when it comes to tests and recalling vocab.

Also, I've set my alarm clock to a song called "Buenos Días" ("Good Morning" in Spanish) and it's so incredibly cute. I find myself singing along as I get out of bed.




During my high school years, watching beauty videos on Youtube in any other language except English was my way of procrastination, but I didn't realise that I could actually pursue this hobby as a career. So, I'm about to major in Translation for university at the start of September. How exciting! I could go on a student exchange program for a year, as well as work in any department practically anywhere in the world after I graduate. The fate of an international student.

Love, Juliana xox

No comments:

Post a Comment