Monday 19 August 2013

King Kong and Carriage Rides

Hey there, it's Sally!
Oops, I'm a little late posting but I have an excuse! I went and saw King Kong the Musical on Saturday with some of my friends from Sydney and thought I'd do a short review about it.

First of all, I wasn't expecting very much. I didn't know anything about King Kong except that he was a massive gorilla that is on a building. When the show started, it seemed like any other musical until the stage effects started, and oh my gosh they are impressive! The stage rocked and bits would go down and other bits would go up and the lighting and visual effects were so amazing! Apparently, King Kong had been planned out for five years and rehearsed for six months. During the interval, I spent the whole time trying to figure out how things worked. King Kong itself was a 1.1 tonne puppet. It had 10 men dressed in black on stage moving it around and 3 people off stage controlling its face and voice. Even though you were aware it was a puppet, it didn't draw away from the experience and you barley noticed them. King Kong's face was so real I couldn't believe it. The songs were okay.. I thought nothing that really stuck in my head afterwards but the singers were very talented. I thought Esther Hannaford who played the girl King Kong fall's in love with had a lovely voice and sounded very much like Celine Dion. The dancing was amazing, maybe I'm being biased because my ex Jazz teacher was in the show. There was one part where Kong came right to the edge of the stage and was Ann Darrow and it looked like he was about the grab one of the audience members any second! Overall, I was very buzzed from the performance. If you get the chance, I would highly recommend it. Especially for people 14+.


 The next day, we went on a horse carriage ride for half an hour which was good fun. Unfortunately, it started raining and was very windy but we could lift the sides up (sort of like a convertible) so we were sheltered from the rain. We waved to lots of people on the street while we were on the carriage and lots of people waved back which was nice. (Definitely not sour.) Our horses names were Bobby and Chief and they were both boys. They were very cute!











Next, we payed a visit to Luna park but it looked a bit like it was about to fall apart so we didn't go in haha!
Finally, we had a mini buffet at a restaurant called Rococo's. We could choose 10 things on the menu for $50 which is quite good split between 4 people! We were all very full after eating and it was delicious!

All in all, I had a very fun weekend!
Talk to you later,
Sally xx









 

No comments:

Post a Comment